Skip to the content

Commercial Trucking Insurance

Several Commercial Trucks in a Line Whether an owner operator hauling other people’s goods or a private company hauling your own products, we have the truck insurance solutions for you. We also have solutions for construction, excavation, manufacturing, or any other private carrier firm.

Primary Liability – Every trucker/trucking company who operates under their own authority is required to carry primary liability coverage on all owned units and either provide this insurance for their leased vehicles or insure that the leased operator carries it on their own. Generally, the motor carrier provides this coverage for the leased operators but there are rare instances when this is not the case.

While the FMCSA only requires $750,000 of auto liability for most general freight type truckers, most brokers and shippers require $1,000,000 of auto liability.

Cargo Insurance – Provides coverage for loss or damage to the property a truck is transporting (the load). Owner-operators have to carry this coverage themselves, however, truckers leased onto a company generally have it covered by the company they are leased on with.

Physical Damage (Collision, Specified Perils) – Provides coverage for repair or replacement for damage resulting from a covered loss (collision, fire, theft, hail, windstorm, earthquake, flood, mischief, or vandalism) to owned vehicles.

Occupational Accident – Product designed specifically for owner operators in the trucking industry. In most states, by being self-employed owner-operators can opt out of state-mandated workers compensation coverage. While not the same as workers compensation, occ/acc is similar in scope and intent. Most motor carriers require their leased operators to be covered either by workers compensation or occ/acc at the leased operator’s expense. For those who qualify, occ/acc is generally a lower cost alternative.